Sunday, October 28, 2012

Video: Another Legend Gone! R.I.P Patty Obasi


Renowned gospel singer, Patty Obasi, died on Friday after battling with a critical ailment for over one year. He died of kidney failure. According to reports, his two kidneys were said to have failed and was
recommended for a transplant operation in India but could not embark on the operation owing to lack of fund.
Obasi, whose popular album Nwa Mammy Water, shot him to limelight, died at his Enugu residence in the early hours of Friday after he reportedly slipped into unconsciousness.
Obasi was down with kidney failure since last year and his doctor said he needed not less than N10 million to transplant his two failed kidneys in India.

One of his sisters, who confirmed his demise on telephone, said Obasi gave up the ghost after the prolonged ailment without undergoing the recommended kidney transplant.
She could not say if any assistance finally came the way of the popular gospel artiste who had cried out to members of the public, the government and political office holders for financial assistance to enable him undertake the kidney transplant.

Obasi, who had many gospel albums to his credit, hailed from Mmaku in Agwu local government area of Enugu State.

R.I.P Patty Obasi....May God bless your gentle soul. 

Listen to one of his tracks... 'O ga di ka Olu ebube'.


Continue reading...

Below is Patty Obasi's appeal for support....[I don't know if any came his way] Sad!

I need N10m for kidney transplant - gospel singer, Patty Obasi appeals

It seems many of your fans are not aware of your illness; when did it start?
For over a year now, I’ve been in a bad state of health.  The problem is kidney problem; holistic kidney problem. I don’t know how it affects the body. But they said it affects the digestive organs or system. God has been helping me to survive; because according to the doctor, my two kidneys have failed, so what is keeping me alive must be God; prayer of the saints; that’s how I feel.

What exactly did the doctor say after the diagnosis?
He said all that I will require is kidney transplant. l haven’t raised enough money for a transplant and the doctor said it will be in India.

Did he give you an idea of the possible cost?
He said it will cost up to N10 million. So I am looking for people who will help me weather the storm.

So far has any one indicated interest?
Well, I find it difficult to answer this question because people always have their intention in their mind. If they make their intention known, praise God; if they don’t, I keep waiting.

Have you been able to reach out to the Enugu State government or any organization that is inclined to Charity works?
I have not been able to reach the government and I don’t know any state administration I shall reach for assistance; not yet, I’m still searching.
Can you tell us your experience since this ailment began; how it has affected your life generally?
It has been a problem, especially when I took the drug that was recommended for me; my whole body was irritating. I was feeling pains all over and I don’t know whether it has solved my problem. I don’t even know whether it has helped me. Dr. Ijoma, a consultant at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital,(UNTH), Ituku-Ozalla, Enugu has been giving me drugs but still he recommended transplant. So I’m neither here nor there.

You talked of the problem not being detected early enough. Did they tell you why they couldn’t detect it early?
Well, I didn’t approach them early enough. I didn’t approach them early enough, I must confess.

Now, let’s talk about your musical works. Can you remember the number of gospel albums you produced when you were in active music?
They are up to 15 albums.

Of all the albums, which was the greatest hit?
The most popular one is Mammy water (Nwa Mammy Water) Do you still remember it?
Yes. I still remember the song Nwa Mammy Water.

But in terms of money, did it give you financial rewards?
(Long pause) Oh, no. It didn’t.

Why?
Of course the devil will always want you to be humiliated; to make you feel that all is not working well. He is at work; the devil is at work, and that’s the way I look at it.

Could it be because you sang against the devil and its agents?
It may be ... (smiles)...most likely.

Talking about inspiration now, did you have an encounter with mammy water before you composed that song?
Now, how can I have encountered mammy water? I don’t serve mammy water...but I know their works. Somehow, somehow, I know her works. Mammy water and her agents are not good people. From my own perspective, they are not good people. They are dubious. They are exploitative. They are terrible. So, through that song I was only sounding a warning to those who may fall into their trap, to be aware that all that glitters is not gold. They may look lustful but they are not good. It’s not everything that arouses our lust that is good. We just have to think about our destiny in life.

The mammy water album released in the 1980s made such an impact that almost in every home you went , you could hear people singing it, and you said it did not give you reward....
(Cuts in) Yes, it made a huge impact but I didn’t make the money. So what else can be responsible for such a calamity; it’s the devil. It’s the devil that does such things.

Was it that the producers and marketers or pirates dealt with the album? What actually happened?
Whether producers or pirates, if they are devilish; the devil didn’t want me to realize something from it so that I would not be encouraged to do more. He wanted to frustrate me; he did everything to frustrate me. And I must confess that I was almost frustrated but God is great. So no matter how the devil tries, I know he is not almighty. It is Almighty God that is almighty; only God is God. Every other spirit is trying to fake God. This is what I want my fans to know.

What is your greatest challenge since you started gospel songs?
The greatest challenge is exploitation. The people who exploit my works and they don’t pay me back; those who sell my records and don’t pay me back. They are the spoilers. It took the grace of God to overcome them. And it still takes the grace of God until now to overcome them. That’s why I think it’s warfare. Gospel music is a spiritual warfare for those who understand. But for those who don’t understand, they see it as entertainment. But it is just warfare?

Can you briefly tell us about yourself, your history, your background, things like that?
What kind of background?

Which local government are you from and in which state? Some of your fans don’t know where you hail from. How did you start gospel music?
(Long pause) Does it matter the local government or state I come from? It doesn’t really matter. I am a Nigerian.

There are most of your fans who don’t know these details.
I am an Igbo man. I am a Nigerian, an Igbo man. I speak Igbo; I speak English. I’m fluent enough to express myself. Can’t you see? So it doesn’t even matter which local government I come from.

Ok, sir. But which state are you from?
Well, I am from Enugu State... I am from Awgu in Enugu State.

You said you wanted to give the gospel music a general acceptance?
Yes. I wanted to give the gospel music a general acceptance, a good outlook so that people would know what it means to associate with gospel music. Associating with gospel music will mean associating with God. We should not narrow it down to one local government. In fact, that’s the mistake we make in Nigeria. When Nwa Mammy Water was released, some women were attacking me; they said didn’t I know that a woman gave birth to me, cooks my food and why did I criticize women in the album. But I cannot say just because a woman cooks my food and I will overlook her wrong doings, and say those things are good. The essence of gospel songs is to condemn the ills in society.

Would you like your Senator in the National Assembly to show interest in your condition and come to your aid?
I would like if he will have the chance to show interest and assist me. I will like it. I know he is a very busy man and he has a lot of responsibilities. If he can concentrate on my own health problem, I will like it and I will appreciate it.

Interview-SaturdayTrust
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Share your thoughts...thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment